Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Bitter-Sweet

With the recent sickness that's swept through our household, I've noticed the bathroom scale - it's bitter sweet.

For me the last few days have meant nothing more than a few more lbs shed pushing me farther below my pre-baby weight - SWEET!

For my husband, it's a very different story. Groan. It reminds me of how serious I need to be about pushing Dr. Florish's recommendation of Allyn eating a 3000 calorie diet. That's a freaking lot of calories!

I have my work cut out for me. That's the bitter part. It's also the tricky part. Cooking and eating in a way that one gains and the other doesn't. Hmmm. I was excited to discover that i google has a pretty sweet calorie counter - we'll give it a whirl.

Since I was feeling back to normal this morning, I worked on sanitizing the house and kitchen. During C-man's nap ....or should I say long "scream fest" before he fell asleep of exhaustion {poor guy - it's rough adjusting from being a sick baby to being a healthy baby who's treated normal again} ...I sat down with some recipe books and started meal planning. This is a LOVE IT! recipe I plan to use again soon.

Yummy Mandarin Crepes


Crepe recipe
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. wheat flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 c milk
1/3 c water
3 lg eggs
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Serves 4-5 people

Drizzle this over your crepes....

1-2 tbsp butter
1/8 c. confection sugar
2 tbsp flour (approx)
2 tbsp of orange juice concentrate
1 can of mandarin oranges

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour, sugar - stir. Add orange juice concentrate and drained juice from can. Stir over low heat till thickened. Add mandarin oranges.

Drizzle over crepes and YUM!

2 comments:

Charity U said...

Sounds like a great recipe! Hope you're all feeling better. Sickness is terrible. :(

Do you think we'll see you at all at conference this year? I got to meet Clark then last year. :) Such a cutie! But I think I'll be in Kids' Conference this year...not sure yet.

Rebecca said...

oh YUM!! this sounds amazing.... wow - i never thought of your dilema of two different focuses with fixing meals!!! - hmmmm
will have to think about that one!!
ya, - wish you were closer to!! would be fun to cook up a storm together!
sounds like you guys have had a ROUGH time with bugs... :( hopefully you will all three be feeling and staying better!
Andrew said the other day some roofs might work out down here - that'd be great!!
have a fun time up north! :)